Wednesday 17 June 2015

Wednesday 17 June 2015 - Poliagos

We finally had a really good night’s sleep and woke up rather late.  I went to the bakery to buy us breakfast.  They had nothing I would call breakfast pastries, so I bought some very rich honey cakes, one with chocolate and one with apple.  Too much to eat, so the apple will wait for dinner.

We then set off to the supermarket to top up the few things we need and to buy more bottled water as we will top our tank up with the non-drinking stuff.  The day is very hot and by the time I get back from shopping I feel rather poorly.  I have not been wearing my hat, thinking that it is still morning.  But I think I may have got a touch of heat stroke because of it.  So I take it easy in the cockpit, sitting in the shade and eating ice.  We decided to buy a bag of ice cubes just for the fun of it.  We don’t have room in the fridge for it, so the ice cubes will melt quickly, but it will cool us off in the meantime.  By the time it is noon, I am feeling better.  So we go and collect the laundry.  We also stop for an ice cream.  It is a bit too early for lunch and with this heat we aren’t too hungry anyway.

Back at the boat we just dump the laundry (I still haven’t even looked at it) and decide we don’t want to stay in town.  So we decide to move on to find an anchorage where we can swim and cool down.

First we just go into the bay where the port was.  There is a cute town there called Kilma.  It is all whitewashed and built on very ridge of a hill.  Down by the water there are just a few little houses built into or up to the hill.  These have been done up as holiday homes.  We put the anchor down where the pilot suggests.  When R goes into reverse to dig it in the boat stops so fast and hard it nearly knocks me over.  When we swim Richard goes over with his snorkel to look at the anchor and finds that it is caught on a rock.  He doesn’t think it will cause any problem, because it will come free if we motor over it.  So we have our swim and a lunch of dips and pitta bread.  After lunch R goes below to work out where we should go next.  I am convinced that our anchor is dragging.  The wind has changed direction and we are facing the opposite way we were.  We seem to be going forward.  It isn’t crucial, as we are leaving shortly and there is no one around.  But it is a lesson.  When I take up the anchor it is not snagged on anything, so is almost certainly was dragging.

The slight problem we have is that the weather forecast is for strong winds (the Meltemi) and rain on Friday.  So we want to wind up somewhere on Thursday that will be safe and comfortable in those conditions.  But we want to be out at anchor tonight so we can swim and cool off.  Richard finally identifies a bay between Manolonisi Island and the island of Poliagos.  The pilot book describes it as “a delightful utterly secluded spot”, which pretty much sums it up.  However we are not alone.  When we came in there was a big day boat here, but that soon moved off.  In the next bay there is a super yacht and one small sailboat.  So not bad really.


There is a nice breeze blowing and at anchor the wind scoop really does its job so I am able to cook my chicken tangine without getting desperately overheated.  Tomorrow we set out for the island of Ios.  We hope that will be good in the bad weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment